Disclaimer: The thoughts expressed in this post are personal. It has nothing to do with the organizations I’m associated with. If you disagree with these thoughts, It’s fine.
It’s has been more than a week, we are receiving forward message with Headlines like “Ban Using Chinese Products / Applications”.
I have some questions:
- How do we define which app to remove as it’s so-called “made by china”?
- If Google is banned in China, how come Chinese Devs publish app in Google Play store?
The following might be an explanation:
- We have companies in India who are funded by Chinese conglomerate to run the show. Will we stop using them?
- Some companies in China outsource their development, translation, design jobs to Indian markets. If we stop using these apps, we are affecting our economy.
Let us take an Example of TikTok
- TikTok has Good Entertaining Quotient.
- Publishers & Viewers are huge in numbers.
- More the content, more the resources TikTok operations team put-in.
- More resources mean more the investment to run the show.
- Now let us think about how an app developer is making Money. It has to be from Data & Advertisements.
- Your Data is already sold out. So you want to ban something then Ban putting ads.
- For Application of that scale, there must be a local team managing infra/operations.
- Stop using that app will remove the need of the local team affecting our economy. Keep them in “THE SHOW MUST GO ON!” mode
If you want to attack some tech giant, use the free things they are giving. Do not pay by any modes like In-app purchases or putting Ads. As user Enjoy what you get for Free.
Now you might be saying we are Marketing team. We have a new product that will help our team sustain the pandemic situation. We need Advertising outreach. I’m not against that at all. Everyone is trying their best to survive. Take an extra step and reach out to publishers directly. Half of them don’t even know their asking rate. You can Grab a better deal.
Always thinking about who could be benefited by such forwards?
- Indian Devs who are publishing clones of these apps? Naah. Bas Behti Ganga me hath dho rahe hai. They have no idea where it’s gonna lead.
- Current Ruling Party? Maybe, nowadays all we have is “keep the devil occupied” Policy.
- Internet Service Providers? Maybe. We all know the current internet situation is not that great. Reducing Users from Apps like TikTok or PUBG can save bandwidth. Net Neutrality & ISP ranting for Infra cost is the topic for another day.
That’s all, that’s just a thought. If you have some other thoughts, I’m a good listener. Feel free to drop-in Comment or wherever we Encountered this Topic.
Have a great day ahead.